Thursday, June 23, 2011

Three Forks, MT to Bozeman, MT -- 34 miles

After yesterday, I think everyone is looking forward to this short day of riding. Bozeman is a really neat town with lots to do, so riding such a short route will allow the riders to experience some of what Bozeman has to offer. On the way, is Missouri Headwaters State Park, where the Missouri starts at the convergence of the Gallatin, Madison and Jefferson Rivers.

I stopped in Manhattan, Montana to take a photo of the famous Oaisis Steakhouse. I ate there in 2008 when I passed through. This year, it was not open when I got there.

After the stop in Manhattan, MT, I passed Merle and Sue V as they pedalled toward Bozeman.

After passing the Missouri Headwaters State Park, the ride meandered through the Town of Manhattan, and crossed the Gallatin River before entering the City of Bozeman.

Once again the view going toward Bozeman, MT was just fabulous, and once again I am sharing a few more photos!
 Can you believe that there is still over 100 inches of snow on the mountains?
 Gorgeous!
 Breath-taking!
Post Card quality!

Before I got to Bozeman, MT I stopped when I noticed that the river I was going to cross had spilled over its banks and the flooding had interrupted fishing activities....





Once in Bozeman, I thought most of the riders would head to the Museum of the Rockies at Montana State University, but it seems only Rich G, Bill K, Hewes A, and I stopped to check it out. The museum is world-class, located in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. It is a Smithsonian Affiliate and a Federal Repository for fossils. It features one of the largest collections of dinosaur fossils in the world.





 These informational signs gave a great explanation to the Living Farm Exhibit:



The exhibits were great. There was the Siebel Dinosaur Complex, the Color of Frogs, Western History, Taylor Planetarium and the Living History Farm. It was very interesting. I saw "Big Mike" the famous bronze statue of the Wankel T. rex, Custer T. rex, the largest T. rex skull in the world (5 feet long), Native American exhibits, Montana History over the years, and the Tinsley House on the Living History Farm, which is an original 1890s Montana farm with demonstrations of homesteading activities. I missed the Old Faithful Geyser and I only stuck my head in the Planetarium.

We are staying at the Western Heritage Inn, 1200 E. Main Street, Bozeman, Montana. The decor is definitely unique. Here are a couple of photos to show you what we see....

 This explains what is shown below.
 Such a cute face and such long claws....
The Kodiak Brown Bear is joined on the wall by 14 point and 12 point deer heads...lovely... 
Hewed A and Paul G host the map meeting/happy hour tonight.

Tomorrow we head to Big Timber, MT.

No comments:

Post a Comment