Friday, June 24, 2011

Bozeman, MT to Big Timber, MT -- 60 miles

Today's ride has us leaving Bozeman, MT and heading up to Bozeman Pass, Elevation 5,760 a wee bit lower than the Continential Divide of the other day. From there we go downhill through the Town of Livingston and on into Big Timber.

Before I left Bozeman, I rode around and tried to find the Veteran's Memorial. 8 miles later, I still didn't find it, but I did manage to ride through a beautifully maintained cemetery and a couple of very nice neighborhoods. After giving up my search for the memorial I rode back to the Museum of the Rockies. That place is quite interesting.

After that I stopped at a Heritage Site along the route and it was very interesting. It was five informational signs placed around the ribs of a teepee. It was Mission Ranch and the signs explained how little things have changes since the 1800's.





After reading all the signs and taking pictures since I can't remember this stuff longer than about a minute, I spent probably the next 15 or 20 minutes just standing looking at the mountains all around me. They are absolutely gorgeous. OMG...the scenery...I have run out of words.
 OMG!
 OMG!
 OMG! OMG!
 OMG! OMG!
Ditto !!!

I got a photo of Vicki L, Paul G, and Marnie R as they headed up on I-90 on their way to Big Timber, MT. 

Marnie R is just having a blast riding along the beautiful countryside!

At the end of a 60 mile day many of the riders headed for the Drug Store Soda Fountain for an authenic malted...I think we overwelmed the soda counter, but I must say that the malted (double chocolate) was excellent! There was a little mix up about the price, "Malted Friday" [this is chocolate ice crean with marshmellow topping and malted powder on top] was $2.50 and a "Malted" was 4.00....The girl working the counter [she really worked in the pharmacy, but was helping out at the soda counter, got confused... it was Friday and we were ordering malteds]...so we all got our malteds for $2.50!!
Paul G, Marnie R, and Vicki L enjoy their 1/2 price malteds!
 Jeff M, Marnie R, Vicki L, Sue M, and Frank H pose for the camera to commemorate their enjoyment of their malteds!
The scene of the 'Malted' crime!

After consuming enormous malteds, we had our 'Map Meeting/Happy Hour' in the breakfast room of the River Valley Inn and then proceeded to walk back downtown, across the street from the scene of the earlier crime and consume a wonderful meal at The Grand B & B Dining Room.

Tomorrow we have a fairly short day, 42 miles to Columbus, MT.


No comments:

Post a Comment