Sunday, June 26, 2016

2016 Epic Road Trip - Day 42

June 24, 2016

Day 42 - Soldotna, AK to Homer, AK to Soldotna, AK - 158 Miles



Today was an awesome day.  I drove to Homer, AK, which is known as the Halibut Fishing Capital of the World and took a charter boat out in the Cook Inlet to catch some halibut.  I did.  Caught my limit! There’s a two-fish limit on charter boats under Alaskan law and only one may be larger than 28 inches.  I saved a big fillet and shipped the rest to my brother. I hope he enjoys it as the processing/freezing and shipping charges were a wee bit steep.   The saved fillet will be cooked on the campfire in the coming days, since I don't like the smell of fish in the house much less the RV.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that the fridge in the RV doesn't go on the fritz!

It had to be under 50 degrees outside today, and the sun never really made an appearance.  The bow spray from crossing the waves got those of us on the back of the boat all wet. The water was a little choppy for 2 of the passengers once we got out of the port, but for me it was just awesome! I had a blast! Considering doing it again when I am back down in the Anchorage area in about 3 weeks when Marnie arrives.

I saw a bunch of sea otters and an Orca whale, along with seagulls and other waterfowl.

One other neat bit of trivia..  On the boat today, I am convinced one of the passengers was a reality show cast member -- same voice, looked just like the salt and pepper-haired old coote; grumpy old man -- from one of the Alaska-themed shows. 

Drove back to Soldatna to plan my day tomorrow, Not exactly sure what I want to do...a lot depends on the weather.

Oh yeah, I ran into a friend from the LEU Bike Ride, Keith Neiswender and his family at the RV Park in Soldotna, AK. Was nice to sit and chat for a while. 


Starfish....
Waiting to board the Foxfire, Homer, AK

Sea Otter frolicing in Cook Inlet
Caught my limit!
Gorgeous!
Lake Clark National Park and Preserve Viewpoint on the Kenai Peninsula

Keith and I at the Klondike RV Park, Soldotna, AK




No comments:

Post a Comment