Thursday, August 4, 2016

2016 Epic Road Trip - Day 80

Day 80 
August 1, 2016
Teslin, YK to Iskut, BC

Today I headed southeast for a couple hundred miles.  Beautiful vistas again.

As I drove through an area of 2010 and 2012 forest fire burns, I noticed the brown smoke in the air – the area is getting hit again.  I passed an animal (a Marten? maybe...) today with food in its mouth.  

Don’t know what a Marten looks like; it might be that or a short-haired fox.

I was on the Cassiar Highway, which runs through the Cassiar mountain range.  92% of the world’s jade is mined in the Cassiar mountains.  I made a stop in Jade City which isn’t a city as much as it is a single building housing a gift shop.  Population in the area is about 50.

And, you heard it here first:  The Discovery Channel of Canada was filming here today for the third season of a reality show called Jade Fever.  It has aired on Canadian television but has not yet been sold to American television stations.  I bought Season 1 to watch, since I'm almost done with Breaking Bad.

The campground tonight is at Mountain Shadows, which is at the base of Mt. Edziza, a dormant volcano. Beautiful campground!







No comments:

Post a Comment