Monday, September 14, 2015

2015 Underground Railroad and Erie Canal Ride

9/14/15

Perryville, OH (Mohican State Park) to Wellington, OH

The day started late because the restaurant at the hotel didn't start serving breakfast until 8:00 am and I needed a good breakfast to brace myself for the climbing...

All I can say is that today was a 'Hike & Bike' day....I hiked up the mountains and biked back down! 

The first 20 miles were brutal with climbs I think in the double digits...had to walk some parts ... But I made it up...I really enjoyed the downhills...my Garmin registered a max speed of 38 mph! It was awesome on the way down, but that just meant that I had to climb up another mountain....no flatland today...

As the climbing continued with no end in sight, The more pickup trucks that past me the more I was willing to pay if the driver would let me put my bike in the bed and they would drive me to Wellington!

I made a command decision and adjusted the planed route which cut off 11 miles but only reduced the climbing by about 500 feet, but was at a much more doable gradient...still climbed 3500 feet...glad the day is done. Total miles 48.

Had a nice lunch in Jeromeville, OH before finishing the last 26 miles.

We ended our ride in Wellington, OH at the The Wellington Country Inn B & B, built in the 1880s and on the National Register of historic Places, run by a very nice couple, Evelyn and Gene. The building used to be a funeral home way back when.

We had dinner at Demitri's Corner Family Restaurant...good food, filling, and great service. Then it was back to B & B to call it a night.

Tomorrow we are off to Hudson, OH about 54 miles northeast of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment