Thursday, July 14, 2016

2016 Epic Road Trip - Day 47

June 29, 2016

Day 49 - North Pole, AK to Chenna Hot Springs, AK to Circle, AK - 430 Miles




It was an semi early day as I headed northeast to Chenna Hot Springs, AK.
A hillside of fireweed in bloom
I took a drive to Chena Hot Springs, the nicest of the three that I have visited so far.  

Outdoor landscaped hot spring
Antler yard art at Chena Resort.
They find all sorts of uses for old vehicles, etc.  Seems it is too costly to dispose of the junk.
An ice house filled with ice sculptures.  I didn't have a coat and only had flip flops, so I passed on the hour tour at 29 degrees.
Beautiful scenery again.
There's a viewing stop for the pipleline just north of Fairbanks, with lots of info on it.
At the viewing station.  Takes 16 days for oil from Prudhoe Bay,AK to make its trek to Valdez.
Pet goats at a cafe was the only wildlife I saw,...until 3 little foxes cross the road.
Then I drove up to Circle, AK.  It got its name back in the late 1800s during the gold rush, with miners thinking they were at the Arctic Circle.  In fact, they were 50 miles south.
3:00 am - just loving the daylight!





No comments:

Post a Comment