Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chicago -- The start of the Route 66 Adventure

Day 1 - Arrival at Travelodge Downtown Chicago, IL. Shortly after landing at O'Hare International Airport, I was met at the hotel by my cousin's wife Meg who was kind enough to take myself Bill K and Rich G on a short but very informative tour of Chicago before we met up with my cousin Fred and had a wonderful meal at "Eat at Ed's" a wonderful 50's diner with a really fun staff.

Before all of the riders got together Rich G, Bill K and I walked to the White Palace Grill for breakfast. Bill said it was just around the corner -- not far, but let me tell you my feet beg to differ. This restaurant was featured on Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" food show and I must say it was wonderful. Only wish it was a little closer...the "doggies are barkin'!"

Then if was time to meet all of the riders and conduct our first Map Rap, Route Meeting or Happy Hour...whatever you decide to call it. Rich welcomed all the riders and went over a few administrative issues to make sure this ride is a fun and safe one.
 

After Rich spoke we were lucky to have Samantha Arnold [www.dingdingletsride.com] drop by and fill us in on biking in Chicago. It is always a fun to hear about a city from a local.


Once the meeting was over we all walked over to the Exchecquer Grill for a wonderful dinner to begin our adventure.


The morning of Ride Day 1 brought typical news for me...last year at the start of the Cross Country Ride - The Sequel, it was a broken toe on the first day...this ride it is blisters....seems that all of the walking I did yesterday did not agree with my feet! First thing on the adgenda for today is a trip to CVS for blister medication.....


After the blister issue was addressed it was off to Yolk for a wonderful breakfast.


With a full belly it was time to see some of the sights of Chicago. Rich and Bill joined me on my first foray in and around the downtown Chicago area.

The Chicago Water Tower was the first icon that we found on our travels.

Then it was off to the Biograph Theater -- site of the killing of John Dillinger.


 
The alley to the right is where he was it after a feeble attempt to escape.
 

Then it was onto the site of the St Valentine's Day Massacre. The building is gone but you could imagine what it was like back then.

Then it was a scenic ride backto the motel and our route took us past the diner we ate at the other night....photo op!


We took a photo opportunity at "Eat at Ed's" the restaurant that we had eaten at with Cousin Fred and Meg. Just as great in the daylight!
My roommate, Tricia L arrived today and finally all the riders are here! 
This is just the beginning. as we pedal our way to Amarillo, TX, I will be updating with neat and nifty trivial info that will probably only interest me, but there will be plenty of pictures.
It is time for our daily Route Rap/Map Meeting/Happy Hour, so I am off and the trip of a lifetime has begun!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Judy,
    Thanks for posting your blog. Are Hewes and Susan with your group. If so, please give them my regards. Also, please tell Rich and Bill hello from their all time favorite roommate.
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete