Monday, March 28, 2011

Preparations for X-C 2011 R Underway

With only 65 days to go, I am already getting everything in order in preparation for the monumental X-C 2011 Ride. The bike has been tuned up. The lone bag we are allowed is sitting in the corner slowly accumulating things that I think I will need but most like won't and halfway through the ride will be sent home. No sense in lugging all the extra stuff any further than you have to.

This ride starts in Astoria, Oregon (Seaside) where we will dip our wheels in the Pacific Ocean and ends in Jacksonville, Florida where the final part of the ride is putting our wheels in the Atlantic Ocean. We travel through fifteen (15) states:  Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, in 70 day of riding with 15 rest days for a total trip time of 85 days!

We will be on Mount Rushmore for 4th of July and will get a chance to visit "Field of Dreams" and Graceland. There are many other attractions we will see and I will describe them as we progress. I participated in the 2008 X-C ride, but had to leave in Iowa to return back to work. But this time, I will be officially "retired" and I am looking forward to spanning the country one pedal stroke at a time as I begin a new chapter in my life.

I have been starting at the USA map which is posted in my pod for the last year and I can't believe the time is almost here! I am extremely excited to begin this epic journey. After experiencing the 'purple mountains' in Big Sky Country in 2008, I am so looking forward to seeing them again.

Once I begin my journey I will be updating the adventure as often as I can with words as well as photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment